Symbols Used Commercial Auto – Commercial Trucking Insurance
Symbols that commercial insurance companies use to clearly describe which vehicles and or trailers are covered on a specific policy. (Symbol #7 is the most commonly used)
• Symbol 1 – Any auto, don’t have to schedule them. Covers any auto as long
as the insured is using it.
• Symbol 2 – Any owned auto. Covers only autos that the insured owns.
Includes autos you acquire ownership of after the policy begins.
• Symbol 3 – Owned private passengers autos only. Covers private passenger
autos. Includes autos you acquire after the policy begins.
• Symbol 4 – Owned autos other than private passenger autos only. Covers only
those autos you own that are not private passenger and for liability for trailers
you don’t own while attached to power units you own. Includes those autos
not of the private passenger type you acquire after the policy begins.
• Symbol 5 – Owned autos. Subject to No Fault State.
• Symbol 6 – Owned autos. Subject to Compulsory Uninsured Motorist Law.
Form you attach when the state requires and insured can not reject uninsured
motorist coverage. It includes autos you acquire during the policy period after
the policy begins.
• Symbol 7 – Specifically described autos. Covers only described autos.
Coverage follows power unit. Non owned trailers have liability with this form.
• Symbol 8 – Hired Auto Only. Covers auto you lease, hire, rent or borrow.
This does not include any auto you lease, hire, rent or borrow from any of your
employees, partners or members, etc.
• Symbol 9 – Non-Owned Autos Only – Coverage auto you do not own, lease,
hire, rent or borrow that are used in connection with your business. Includes
auto owned by your employees, partners, members, etc.